Warsop Parish Council Meeting Minutes - 19th May 2003
Warsop Parish Council
Notts NG20 0AL
MINUTES of the Parish Council meeting held on Monday 19th May 2003 in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Market Warsop at 18.30 hours.
Present: Cllrs. A. Wetton, Chairman
(also Mansfield District Councillor), J. Allin,
D. Priest, V. Jennings, D. Avison, R. Morton, (also Mansfield District Councillor), S. Shields (also Mansfield District Councillor) and J. Kerr.
Apologies for Absence: Cllr. B. Smith (also Nottinghamshire County Councillor), on holiday.
Also Present: Reporter from the
Members of the Public
PC Frank Fischer, Beat Manager - arrived late due to emergency case.
6888. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN
Cllr. D. Avison proposed Cllr. A. Wetton, Cllr. J. Allin seconded and it was agreed unanimously.
RESOLVED: That Cllr. A. Wetton be Chairman
6889. ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRMAN
Cllr. R. Morton proposed Cllr. J. Allin, Cllr. J. Kerr seconded and it was agreed unanimously.
RESOLVED: That Cllr. J. Allin be Vice-Chairman
6890. DECLARATIONS BY MEMBERS OF
PECUNIARY (P) AND NON-PECUNIARY (NP) INTEREST
The Chairman drew the attention of Members to the requirement for them to declare any Pecuniary or Non-Pecuniary Interests related to Agenda items.
CCTV/Warsop Landmark (NP) - Cllr.
Christmas Lights/Welbeck Colts/Warsop Carnival (NP) Cllr. A. Wetton
Meden Vale 2000 (NP) - Cllrs. S. Shields, R. Morton and J. Kerr
Warsop Carnival Committee (NP) - Cllr. D. Avison
Warsop and Villages Enterprise Society WAVES (NP) - Cllrs. A. Wetton, J. Allin and B. Smith
6891. MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL
The minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on Monday 28th April were accepted as a true record.
6892. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
The meeting was adjourned to allow members of the public to speak. Cllr. J. Allin explained that this section for this meeting would be matters regarding the Police but as PC Frank Fischer, had not yet arrived he assured the public that it had been confirmed that Warsop Police Station was not closing.
Cllr D. Priest said that he had spoken to PC Clyde Derbyshire at 4pm this afternoon and was assured that PC Fischer would be attending the meeting.
In view of this, the Chairman stated that he would keep Public Participation open until PC Fischer arrived. He went on to explain the procedure regarding Public Participation in reply to Mr. Downie's letter. For a trial period of 3 months, commencing at the next meeting, the session will be extended to 20 minutes and dialogue will be allowed between members of the public and Councillors. Although, only the points raised and the matters arising out of Public Participation can be minuted in line with the regulations regarding meetings as laid down by the National Association of Local Councils. The open session does not form part of the Parish Council meeting and therefore, cannot be minuted. NALC also advised us that there is also a possibility of Councillors being accused of 'fettering their discretion' by entering into public debate about topics which should properly be debated in the Council meeting itself. The Chairman also told members of the public that they could write to the Clerk 14 days prior to the next Council meeting to have their points raised and replied to at that meeting. A letter in reply to Mr. Downie's request had been sent detailing the procedure.
1. Concerns were raised about the
amount of burglaries.
2. A request for better transport links to Shirebrook for future jobs.
3. A suggestion was put forward for the Parish Council to write to the Home Secretary
regarding the lack of policing in our community.
4. Concerns were raised about the pathway at the side of the Library into the car park
5. Mandy Wilson asked for her name to put forward for co-option onto the Parish
6. A resident in Clumber Court asked for street lights.
7. A complaint was raised about the procedures for the notice of vacancies for the
Parish Council, where had it been advertised?
PC Frank Fischer arrived and apologised for being late but explained that he had been called out on an emergency and would not be able to stay long.
The Chairman thanked him for coming and asked him to give a brief reply to the points of concern raised to his superiors in writing from the last meeting.
1. Bargain Booze - PC Fischer has spoken to Mr. Powers and arranged with him that all deliveries come before 7am, this is now in place.
2. CCTV - PC Fischer is not sure how effective the cameras are until the figures are available but he will let the Parish Council know when they are.
3. Drugs - PC Fischer assured everyone that this problem is being addressed in Warsop and Meden Vale.
4. Bainbridge Road/Ridgeway - PC Fischer assured everyone that this problem is be being addressed but there is a problem with motorised scooters as the Force Policy is not to chase.
A member of the public asked how much time is spent on paperwork. PC Fischer replied with an example - he arrested someone at 11.10am and was back on the beat at 2.30pm.
Cllr. D. Avison asked PC Fischer for his opinion to extend CCTV down Carr Lane, he could not answer but did add that the one thing in favour of CCTV is evidence.
A member of the public asked PC Fischer how can we help?
He replied, by reporting crime as soon as it is happening, don't wait, dial 999. If anyone sees anything suspicious report it immediately, dial 999.
PC Fischer left the meeting at 7.30pm
The general feeling of Councillors and members of the public are that pressure must be kept on the Police to make our community a safer place.
The Chairman closed Public Participation.
THE MEETING WAS RECONVENED
6893. CO-OPTION OF NEW MEMBERS
Richard Lilley asked to be added to the voting list, the Chairman accepted his application and confirmed that Mandy Wilson was already on the voting list. He asked for Councillors to vote and the Clerk collected in the slips. Cllr. R. Morton was asked to count the votes. Louise Kingdon, Marion Kavanagh and Peter Crawford were formally co-opted onto the Parish Council.
6894. APPOINTMENT OF REPRESENTATIVES
The Chairman referred this to the next full Council meeting when the new members would be present to take up appointments but did stress the urgency for the Standards Committee to have a representative. Cllr. D. Avison proposed Cllr. J. Allin, Cllr. J. Kerr seconded the motion and it was carried unanimously.
6895. PLANNING APPLICATIONS
a. 80 Stonebridge Lane, Warsop - Two storey side extension.
b. Mansfield & District Cat Shelter, Mansfield Road, Warsop - Sign.
c. The Limes, Askew Lane, Warsop - Two storey extension to front.
d. Bargain Booze - Illuminated sign.
Planning Applications received after agenda completed:
8 Wood Lane, Church Warsop - Retention of sun lounge/conservatory to front.
10 Windsor Drive, Warsop - First floor side extension.
No comments were made about the planning applications.
6896. MATTERS ARISING OUT OF PUBLIC
1. Cllr. J. Kerr reported that burglaries are drug related and suggested that in view of the increase in crime and concerns raised suggested, that a sub-committee be formed to liase with Mansfield Police Station. The Chairman agreed that this would be a good idea.
2. The Chairman reported that with regard to the building of new units in Shirebrook, which will create more jobs in the area, the subject of better transport links is already being looked at with John Mann MP actively involved. Cllr. Vic Jennings suggested a rail link from Warsop - The Chairman commented that he attended a meeting with Robin Hood Line who said it would not be viable.
3. Cllr. J. Allin suggested that we write to our MP John Mann and get his support to take our concerns on the lack of support from the Police to the Home Secretary.
4. The Chairman said that he would look into the Library path.
5. Mandy Wilson had already been added to the voting list.
6. Cllr. J. Allin suggested a letter to Mansfield District Council about the lack of lighting in this area and also suggested approaching Alan Booth, Crime Prevention Officer. The Chairman added that Neighbourhood Renewal may be able to help.
7. The Chairman stated that Notices of Election had been posted in the Warsop Parish Council display box outside the Town Hall, Warsop Library, Mansfield Library and the CHAD. 9 nominations were uncontested and with just 3 vacancies the Parish Council can co-opt members, as the Parish Council received 8 applications a formal ballot has been taken at this meeting.
6897. MATTERS ARISING OUT OF MINUTES
Cllr. D. Avison suggested pushing forward the CCTV extension down Carr Lane and approaching Neighbour Hood Renewal to do this.
Cllr. R. Morton asked that double yellow lines outside Meden Vale Surgery be pushed forward and referred to Peter Thom.
Cllr. J. Allin is still sorting out the hoarding rental on the Warsop Parish Council site.
6898. HIGHWAY MATTERS
The Chairman had received figures regarding accidents before and after traffic calming but would prefer to leave this matter until Cllr. B. Smith can look into these figures in more depth for the next meeting.
6899. WARSOP PARISH REGENERATION
Minutes were circulated to all members and no comments were made.
a. Meden School - A thank you letter for the donation of £250.
b. Warsop Flower Show - A thank you letter for the donation of £100.
c. Warsop Allotment & Leisure Gardeners Association - section 137 payment
application - refer to next Finance & General Purposes meeting.
d. Warsop Judo Club - section 137 payment application - refer to next Finance &
General Purposes meeting.
6901. BANK BALANCES AND ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT
Lloyds TSB Current Account - 30 Apr 03 . £11,163.55
Co-op Bank Current Account - 31 Mar 03 . £2,229.29
Co-op Bank Deposit Account - 30 Apr 03 . £13,930.37
It was agreed that the following accounts would be paid:
0036. Delivery of Warsop News May edition £162.50
0037. Petty Cash - stamps .. £30.00
0038. Friends of The Carrs - section 137 .. £500.00
0039. RAYNET - section 137 £200.00
0040. Hacker Young - External Audit £293.75
0041. County Supplies - Stationary £6.17
0042. NALC - Training . £67.50
6902. NALC - Training
New Councillor training and Quality Parish Councils Seminar included in above.
6903. MANSFIELD DISTRICT COUNCIL
The Chairman reported that the completion of the Town Centre Improvements are scheduled for mid-June. The roads have to be closed whilst re-surfacing takes place, the railings round Spencer's corner will mirror the ones on Ian Sandy's corner. Kwik-Save have dropped out of the scheme, the wall is to stay and there will be no seating there. The seating will be placed on the two opposite corners behind the railings. It is possible that the new owners of Kwik-Save will come back into the scheme.
An Audit Commission questionnaire was handed out to each member to be filled in and returned to the Clerk.
Cllr. John Allin wished to record a vote of thanks to the Clerk, Tania Barlow, for her success on turning Warsop and District News into a really good paper. She has brought in new advertisers making the revenue higher and now distributes more copies. He congratulated her and thanked her for all the hard work she has put in. All members agreed she is doing an excellent job.
6904. NOTTS. COUNTY COUNCIL
In Cllr, B. Smith's absence there was nothing to report, Travel & Transport and Planning and Property briefings were circulated to members.
6905. ITEMS FOR THE NEXT AGENDA
a. Carnival - received support from Warsop Parish Council but may not
receive support from Mansfield District Council this year. The
sponsorship from the CHAD is on board.
b. Parking on Jackson Terrace, Meden Vale
c. School Governors post available.
The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.20pm
6906. DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING - Monday 16th June 2003
Chairman Warsop Parish Council