Warsop Parish Council Meeting Minutes - 17th March 2003
Warsop Parish Council
MINUTES of the Parish Council meeting held on Monday 17th March 2003 in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Market Warsop at 18.45 hours.
Present: Cllrs. A. Wetton - Chairman, (also Mansfield District Councillor) J. Allin, (also Chairman of Mansfield District Council), B. Smith, (also Nottinghamshire County Councillor), D. Priest, D. Avison, R. Morton, S. Shields.
Apologies for Absence: Cllrs. C. Moon, C. Avison & E. Wright
Also Present: Reporter
from the CHAD
Sgt. Ackers, Nottinghamshire Police
Members of the Public
6848. DECLARATIONS BY
MEMBERS OF PECUNIARY (P) AND NON-PECUNIARY (NP) INTEREST
The Chairman drew the attention of Members to the requirement for them to declare any Pecuniary or Non-Pecuniary Interests related to Agenda items.
CCTV/Warsop Landmark (NP)
- Cllr. J. Allin
Warsop Footpaths & Countryside Group/Warsop Landmark/WEA Warsop Branch (NP)/Meden Valley Partnership (P) Cllr. C. Avison
Christmas Lights/Welbeck Colts/Warsop Carnival (NP) Cllr. A. Wetton
Warsop Landmark (NP) - Cllr. C. Moon
Meden Vale 2000 (NP) - Cllrs. S. Shields and R. Morton
Warsop Carnival Committee (NP) - Cllr. D. Avison
Meden Money Tree Credit Union (P) Cllrs. C. Avison and C. Moon
Warsop and Villages Enterprise Society WAVES (NP) - Cllrs. A. Wetton, J. Allin, C. Moon and B. Smith
The Chairman also declared an interest in the Top Cat/Scrooges Site. Cllr. J. Allin said that it was to now be called the Warsop Parish Council Site as the whole site is now owned by the Parish Council.
6849. MINUTES OF PARISH
The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 17th February were accepted as a true record.
6850. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
The meeting was adjourned to allow members of the public to speak, the points raised were:
1. Could it be made clear
and included in the minutes which Councils the members represent other than
the Parish Council.
2. Litter and fly tipping is still a serious problem in Warsop and the road up to the tip needs improving.
3. Road humps are still creating problems.
4. The car parking problem around Meden and Hetts Lane School needs action.
5. Objection received regarding Town Centre Improvements - a potential bottle neck will be created at junction of High Street and Sherwood Street. Concern that Emergency Services will be slowed down. Also concern that the stone pavers being laid are uneven and will cause accidents.
6. Complaint received about the high rate of Council Tax being charged to Warsop residents, paying more than Mansfield but receiving fewer services.
7. Suggestion that an Industrial Site in Warsop would create more jobs.
8. Residents from Greendale Close are concerned about the recent planning application for 6 new dwellings on Old Sookholme Lane, even though it may be refused on this occasion, what about future applications?
As there were no more
members of the public wishing to speak, The Chairman closed Public Participation.
THE MEETING WAS RECONVENED
6851. PLANNING APPLICATIONS
a, b, c, d - no comment
e. The Clerk received an E-mail from Martyn Saxton of Mansfield District Council Planning stating that this application will be considered by the Planning Committee on 24th March 2003, with a recommendation that it be refused. With regard to future applications, it is considered that these will be refused for the same reason.
f. Cllr. J. Allin asked that the Clerk request more information.
g. The Chairman commented that this was necessary due to the danger of falling into the road.
h. No comment.
Planning applications received after Agenda completed
Warsop Parish Council site - Erect new 2 story development for Sure Start
The Clerk to request full plans when these are available
Land off Sherwood Street - Construction of 2 new dwellings
The Chairman suggested that these plans may also be refused because of
Highways issues and asked The Clerk to request more information
Mount Pleasant, Mansfield Rd, Warsop - 2 Storey side extension
Welbeck Miners Welfare, Meden Vale - amended changing facilities
Disabled parking and new palisade fencing reapplication - No comment
The Old School House, Warsop Vale - Detached Garage to rear
6852. MATTERS ARISING
OUT OF PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
1. The Chairman asked the Clerk to include this on the next minutes.
2. Litter - this is a matter that has been discussed at many Parish Council meetings. The Chairman stated that on Sunday he was told that the skips where full and no more rubbish was being accepted - this in itself leads to fly tipping. The problem with the road from the Bridge to the tip is the ownership, therefore, who is going to pay for the road to be resurfaced. Cllr. B. Smith said he will find out who to complain to. Meanwhile, the Clerk is to write to Notts C.C., addressing the problems of people being turned away and the attitude of the people who work there.
3. Road Humps - again this matter has been discussed at several Parish Council meetings and the Clerk has written several letters to various departmental bodies, who are discussing the matter further. Cllr. B. Smith stated that with regard to Sherwood Street, he had contacted Bowrings Transport but they are not prepared to re-direct their lorries but it is not only Bowrings who use Sherwood Street. He stated that he didn't think the there was an answer to this problem and the road humps would not be removed.
4. Meden School & Hetts Lane parking problem, again this was discussed at the last Parish Council meeting, Cllr B. Smith gave a detailed report about the School Travel Plan that was being discussed and as soon as he has anything to report, he will. The Chairman added that this is a problem that only occurs at peak-times and the whole of society faces the same situation.
5. The Chairman replied that when major works are undertaken they will always cause problems. When it is finished it will enhance the Town Centre, the general layout at the new junction will be better as there are no central refuges. The space is then easier for lorries to move through the Town Centre. There was a problem with the quality of the pavers, being uneven but these will be taken out and replaced with ones of a higher quality. Cllr. J. Allin added people should wait until the works are completed and then judge it.
6. With regard to the higher rate of Council Tax, The Chairman stated that had the Parish Council not done the things it has this year, we would not be in the position we are now improving Warsop. Cllr. B. Smith reported that no-one more than he has complained about the amount of Council Tax we pay but the fact remains to have the level of service in Warsop we have to pay a higher tax. Cllr. J. Allin added that the Precept is higher this year because of the purchase of Top Cat/Scrooges Site and the amount of extra funding the Parish Council have provided for other organisations.
7. Various plans for re-development have been discussed and large areas are being looked at for industrial usage.
8. Answered in Planning
6853. MATTERS ARISING OUT OF MINUTES - None
6854. WARSOP AND DISTRICT
The Clerk reported that financially, the situation with the paper is still the same. She now has in place, a reliable person to deliver to Meden Vale, starting next month, She also commented that she now has a very good reliable team of deliverers, so hopefully there should be no more complaints from people not receiving a paper. Cllr. S. Shields suggested advertising in the Warsop & District that there is advertising space available.
6855. WARSOP PARISH COUNCIL
The cheque sent 03/03/03 Voucher No. 0015 to purchase the Scrooges Site this now completes the purchase of the whole site. Negotiations with Notts C.C. are taking place regarding the sale of the Land for SureStart to open crèche facilities for under 4 years and provide other related services. Cllr B. Smith stated that this is just part of the regeneration programme one of the other things proposed is the opening of Wood Street. The Chairman stated that cashes of Government monies are available for us to continue with the development taking place in Warsop and hopefully once Warsop starts to look better, private money will follow.
6856. HIGHWAY MATTERS
Cllr. B. Smith presented a leaflet produced by Groundwork, featuring lots of different walks in and around Warsop, with transport being provided for the walks outside Warsop. He also asked Councillors and members of the public if they knew of anywhere that needed street improvements to let him know. After his success with Netherfield Lane crossing, he is to submit a scheme for a crossing refuge on Wood Lane, Church Warsop. Cllr. J. Allin congratulated Cllr. B. Smith on the Netherfield Lane crossing as this has reduced traffic speed a substantial amount.Cllr. D. Avison asked that as Sgt. Ackers was present at the meeting he would like to comment on the illegal parking situation on Sherwood Street outside the Chemist and asked for a Police presence.
6857. WARSOP PARISH REGENERATION AGENCY
Minutes were circulated to all members and no comments were made. The Chairman asked that the support of Warsop Parish Council be given to WPRA for their funding bid for 2003-2006. This was agreed unanimously with Cllr. R. Morton stating that Meden Vale 2000 would also support them.
6858. MEDEN VALE 2000
Minutes were circulated to all members and no comments were made.
a. Richard Goad, Mansfield District Council Re: Phone Box in Meden Vale Cllr. R.A. Morton reported that this matter had already been discussed at the last Meden Vale 2000 meeting and although the residents would like to keep the telephone box on Egmanton Road, it was felt that this was impractical with the level of vandalism that this kiosk had endured. And it was concluded that provided BT where to continue to provide a service outside the Post Office, this would be acceptable. All members agreed.
b. Home-Start - request for donation - refer to the next Finance & General Purposes meeting.
c. Meden School Sixth Formers/WPRA - request for donation - refer to the next Finance & General Purposes meeting.
d. Church Warsop Joint Action Group - request for donation - refer to the next Finance & General Purposes meeting.
6860. BANK BALANCES AND ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT
Lloyds TSB Current Account - 16 Mar 03 . £5,615.77
Co-op Bank Current Account - 28 Feb 03 . £6,336.78
Co-op Bank Deposit Account - 28 Feb 03 . £15, 930.37
It was agreed that the following accounts would be paid:
0016. Mousetrap March edition Warsop News £1,861.00
0017. Delivery of Warsop News April edition . £162.50
0018. CAB section 137 payment 2002/3 .. £650.00
0019. D.A.R.E. section 137 payment 2002/3 ... £500.00
0020. Meden Vale 2000 section 137 payment 2002/3 . £250.00
0021. CPRE Membership £25.00
0022. County Supplies - stationary £8.21
0023. Tania Barlow - travel expenses Warsop News £37.24
0024. Petty Cash - stamps . £30.00
0025. Zurich Insurance - Renewal .. £500.61
6861. NOTTS COUNTY COUNCIL
Cllr.J. Allin will apply for representation for Governing Bodies for Netherfield Lane School all other vacancies will be held over until after the elections in May.
6862. MANSFIELD DISTRICT
a. Area Assembly - minutes circulated to members - no comments made.
Cllr. B. Smith urged all members of the public to attend Area Assembly to air their views as this is a good tool for feedback and nformation. Matters get taken back to Cabinet and help to change policies. He also informed members of the public of a meeting that takes place at 14 High Street, thefirst Saturday in the month for the public to complain and they will receive a written reply.
6863. WARSOP WAR MEMORIAL
Mansfield District Council are drawing up plans for the car park, and hardstanding around the War Memorial. The Area Assembly have agreed to provide some funds for the general repairs and tidying of the area. Warsop Parish Council have received a quotation of £250 to put railings around the Plinths and will refer this to the next Finance and General Purposes Meeting
6864. ITEMS FOR THE NEXT
Crime and Vandalism in Meden Vale
CCTV extension down Carr Lane
Cllr J. Allin thanked the reporter from the CHAD for coming
The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.00pm
6865. DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING - Monday 28th April 2003
Chairman Warsop Parish Council