Title image - Warsop Web
Link to home page
Parish Council


Warsop Parish Council Meeting Minutes - 17th February 2003

Warsop Parish Council
Town Hall
Church Street
NG20 0AL
01623 846011

MINUTES of the Parish Council meeting held on Monday 17th February 2003 in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Market Warsop at 18.30 hours.

Present: Cllrs. J. Allin, B. Smith, E. Wright, D. Priest, D. Avison, R. Morton, S. Shields and V. Jennings.

Apologies for Absence: Cllrs. A. Wetton - Chairman, H. Scott, C. Moon and C. Avison

In the Chair: Cllr. J. Allin

Also Present: Reporter from the CHAD
Members of the Public

The Chairman drew the attention of Members to the requirement for them to declare any Pecuniary or Non-Pecuniary Interests related to Agenda items.

CCTV/Warsop Landmark (NP) - Cllr. J. Allin
Warsop Footpaths & Countryside Group/Warsop Landmark/WEA Warsop Branch (NP)/Meden Valley Partnership (P) Cllr. C. Avison
Christmas Lights/Welbeck Colts/Warsop Carnival (NP) Cllr. A. Wetton
Warsop Landmark (NP) - Cllr. C. Moon
Meden Vale 2000 (NP) - Cllrs. S. Shields and R. Morton
Warsop Carnival Committee (NP) - Cllr. D. Avison
Meden Money Tree Credit Union (P) Cllrs. C. Avison and C. Moon
Warsop and Villages Enterprise Society WAVES (NP) - Cllrs. A. Wetton, J. Allin, C. Moon and B. Smith

The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 20th January were accepted as a true record with the addition of Eric Wright being added to the meeting about the War Memorial under minute no. 6826. The Clerk apologised for her mistake.

The meeting was adjourned to allow members of the public to speak. As there were several points raised Cllr J. Allin acting as Chairman allowed participation with Councillors to take place, the points raised were:
1. A suggestion was made to improve the car park signs for Clumber Street Car Park and also a preventative measure is needed to stop people from coming out onto Clumber Street, even though there is adequate signage that it is not an exit. Cllr. J. Allin proposed that the Clerk write and request more signs and he agreed an extra measure was needed at the entrance of the Car Park, perhaps exit plates, as in High Street Car Park and asked that the Clerk request this at the same time.

2. A suggestion was made for a seat on Clumber Street near the entrance to the car park.

Again, Cllr. J. Allin said that we could request this.

3. A member of the public asked for a definition of Mansfield District Council and Warsop Parish Council.

Cllr. J. Allin explained that Mansfield District Council provide all our services i.e. street cleansing, refuse collection, maintenance, street lighting etc. Anything over and above the needs of Warsop Community, Warsop Parish Council precept to Mansfield District Council to provide grants to community groups i.e. Carnival, Xmas Lights etc. Purchase of Derelict Land i.e. Top Cat and Scrooges for redevelopment.

Cllr. B. Smith also added that the Parish Council are consulted by Notts County Council and Mansfield District Council on anything that is being done in our area and keep us informed of any planning and highways issues.

4. A member of the public expressed his concern about the parking issues around the Meden School and asked that a drop off point could be made near the school or could some land be taken from the school playing field to provide parking.

Cllr. B. Smith reported that there are problems with parking in this area not only for Meden but also Hetts Lane Infants & Nursery School. He is having talks regarding a School Transport Plan which includes the parking issue, taking some of the playing field as a bus lay-by, moving the school crossing and encouraging parents to walk their children to school, making it safer. There are talks about a 'School Walking Bus' in the summer were one parent leads an amount of children and another parent brings up the rear, make a safe walking line. He also said that it was in the early stages of discussion and may be a while before any decisions are made but he would continue to report at Council meetings.

5. Road Humps on Southgate Road, again concerns were raised that they are not effective and a nuisance.

Cllr. J. Allin said that as this subject had been discussed at length at the last meeting he did not feel there was a need to discuss it further, letters have been sent to the appropriate bodies and discussions will continue into this problem. Cllr B. Smith added that he has contacted the Highways Department with the view of changing the humps but has not had a reply.

6. One member of the public asked if the New Health Centre is definitely going to be built on the Top Cat site.

Cllr. J. Allin replied that no plans have been made yet.

7. A member of the public asked if a sign could be erected to advise lorry drivers that Portland Street is a Dead End. Cllr. J. Allin asked the Clerk to write and request this.

8. A representative of the Warsop ATC complained about the treatment the cadets have to endure from young people using the Skateboard Park. One of the officers has been assaulted and the case will be presented in court. Eggs are being thrown at the cadets and they are regularly being abused, verbally and physically. The ATC have looked at moving but cost is a problem.

Cllr. J. Allin sympathised with this problem and suggested that the Parish Council send a letter of protest to the Police outlining the problem. Cllr. B. Smith also suggested that a representative of Warsop ATC call in the Police Station and talk to one of the officers there to arrange a Police presence at their meetings. He also suggested inviting one of the Police Officers to be present at the next Council meeting to answer problems. The Clerk will arrange this.

Cllr. E. Wright reported that there has always been problems in this area but hopefully things will become better when the new Car Park opposite the ATC and the Children's Play Area are started next week.


a. Clerk to find out exactly where 35 Sherwood Street is.
b. No comment

Dealt with under Public Participation minute No.6831


The Clerk reported that advertising revenue is up for the March edition but we still have a shortfall of approx £200-£300. It is felt that the paper will always be in this position because of the cost of Mousetrap. The Clerk is receiving training on Coral Draw 10, a software package designed to produce newspapers, the training is quite intensive and will take time. Derek Hart is offering the training free of charge and is willing to offer his help to set up the first paper.

Other printers are being looked at to try and get the costing down in this area and with the amount of extra hours the Clerk will be required to do once the paper is being produced 'in-house' the paper should break even and with time start to make a profit. The Clerk envisages an extra 6 hours work per week, maybe slightly more to begin with, then once a few editions have been produced the work load may decrease. September edition is being looked at for the first paper to produced 'in-house'.

Cllr. D. Priest asked if the problem of delivery to Perlethorpe Avenue had been sorted. The Clerk replied that the young man who delivers in Meden Vale has handed in his notice. Cllr. D. Avison said he may know of someone who may take over the round and would let the Clerk know.
Scrooges Site - Cllr. J. Allin reported that the contract is ready to sign.

Cllr. J. Allin read out a letter received from Don Gray, Notts County Council Environment which states that the matter is to be discussed at the Environment Portfolio Meeting in the near future and we will be advised of the outcome.

Cllr. B. Smith read out a letter regarding traffic calming and possibility of the re-direction of lorries on Sherwood Street, again this is only a suggestion and he will keep the Council informed of any developments.

Cllr. D. Avison commented that the railway bridge on Mansfield Road had been hit again by a lorry. As there is adequate signage the only other suggestion is to have chains before the bridge, so that lorries too high have the opportunity to turn round.
The Clerk is to write to Highways suggesting this.

Minutes were circulated to all members and no comments were made.

6839. MEDEN VALE 2000
Minutes were circulated to all members and no comments were made.

a. Old Warsop Society
Cllr. J. Allin read out a copy of a letter sent to The Head of Technical Services at Mansfield District Council asking what measures can be taken to prevent future damage to the Mill and Bridge through traffic incidents. Cllr. J. Allin suggested bollards could protect the bridge and asked the Clerk to send a letter of concern to the Director of Technical Services with copies to Mansfield District Council and Notts County Council.

Lloyds TSB Current Account - 24 Jan 03 …………. £24,383.60
Co-op Bank Current Account - 17 Jan 03 …………. £1,504.44
Co-op Bank Deposit Account - 31 Jan 03 …………. £20,930.37

It was agreed that the following accounts would be paid:
0006. Delivery of Warsop News March edition ………... £165.00
0007. Petty Cash for Stamps ……………………………. £50.00
0008. NALC Local Council Review …………………… £129.82
0009. County Supplies - Stationary ……………………. £22.71
0010. Mrs S Ford ………………………….. …………… £197.50
0011. Mousetrap ……………………….. …………… £1,871.00
0012. SLCC Membership fee …………………………… £72.00
0013. Delivery of leaflets with W&DN March edition …. £55.00
0014. NALC Annual subscription …………………… £1,174.18

6842. NALC and Associated Bodies
The annual subscription to NALC was discussed, although it appears to be a large amount it was felt that the Council could not afford not the be in this organisation because of the advice they provide, training of Clerks and information of new legislation. Cllr. J. Allin suggested that it be paid. Cllr. B. Smith proposed the motion, Cllr. R. Morton seconded, 6 members agreed, 1 member against, the motion was carried. Total amount in Minute number 6841

Cllr. B. Smith already covered items.

a. Standards and Appeals Committee
It was agreed to leave this item until the May elections.

Cllr. J. Allin explained to the public present what had been proposed at the last meeting. The Clerk reported a quotation had been requested for the railings around the plinths of the Cenotaph but had still not received it and as soon as it is received it will be presented at the next F&GP meeting. She also reported that Cllr. A. Wetton had approached Mansfield District to re-point the wall, which they had agreed to do and that a reply had been received from The Friends of War Memorials confirming that we are eligible for a grant for the hardstanding around the Cenotaph for up to £5,000. The Clerk is to take this up with Martyn Thurman to put in a bid. With regard to the car park, this will be presented to the Neighbourhood Renewal meeting in March.

a. Request the Police to attend meeting.
b. War Memorial

Cllr J. Allin thanked the reporter from the CHAD for coming

The Chairman closed the meeting at 7.30pm

6847. DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING - Monday 17th March 2003

Signed …………………………………… Dated ……………………
Acting Chairman Warsop Parish Council

Return to Parish Council Menu >>>>


Button linking to Articles section

Button linking to Business section

Button linking to Education section

Button linking to Food and Drink

Button linking to Leisure section

Button linking to Links section

Button linking to Messages section

Button linking to Property section

Button linking to Service section

Button linking to Warsop and District News

Slide show of Warsop images linking to gallery


ICRA label graphic- linking to ICRA page

Bobby Approved (v 3.2)

Update 5/12/07

Warsop & District News

Warsop Web logo

Contact us

Local Weather

BT Phone Book

National Lottery

Where is Warsop

Bus/Train Times